Standard disclaimer: Unless otherwise specified, all products featured on this blog are purchased with my own money. I don’t solicit free products for review, nor do I generally advertise the fact that I am a blogger when ordering. I also do not do paid reviews.
Indie Company Reviews
Please note: these are considerations for current and future reviews. Some of my older reviews may not cover all of these points as well, if only because at the time I was still getting my footing.
Each company is reviewed on a scale of 1-10, and considers all products I’ve tried from the company.
- Is the website/store easy to order from? Is it easy to find info and get a good idea of what the product is like? Are there good product photos and/or swatches?
- Are the products good quality? Do they match the online description?
- Eyeshadow: I look for smoothness, softness, pigmentation, and payoff. I assess eyeshadows based on how they perform over primer, as I can’t imagine anyone expecting decent wear even out of the best of eyeshadows without some sort of base.
- Foundation: I look for decent coverage, wear, comfort, and finish.
- Is the packaging clear and complete?
- Is the formula original? Is any repackaging honestly acknowledged?
- Does the company bring anything unique to the table?
- Were e-mails/messages (if any) answered promptly and completely? Were any problems solved to satisfaction?
- Is the TAT reasonable, clearly stated, and honored?
- Note: I understand the circumstances surrounding indies and longer-than-average TAT’s. I’m sympathetic to the fact that most are one-person operations already working hard to fill orders. However, in the interest of honesty, TAT’s exceeding 3-4 days will be pointed out so new customers reading my blog know what they’re walking into.
- Are shipping charges reasonable? Am I paying too much for small orders?
I’m not vegan and I don’t have as many compunctions about certain ingredients (e.g. dyes, carmine, etc.) as some others. While I will try to point out if a company is vegan or not, I’m not going to spend a lot of time on the subject, nor will it figure into my verdict.
Individual products are reviewed on a scale of 1-7. Some older product reviews may still use the previous scale of 1-5.
Requesting a Review
If you represent a company interested in a review, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you send free items for review, you accept that I will not hesitate to point out any flaws in your service or products. Poor ethics or conduct will be publicly revealed on my blog. Please note that I will not accept paid reviews.